Tuesday, April 20, 2010

C2E2; The Chicago Comic Con

Last weekend was C2E2 in Chicago; a con i was very much looking forward to attending. both myself and will Sliney flew out from out current abode in New York and had a bloody fantastic weekend. I got to meet a lot of my fellow contributors to the Comic Twart blog, and both myself and Will got to spend most of the weekend with the crew at BOOM! Studios. They were all absolutely lovely people and it was a pleasure to meet (and drink... and eat double-dish pizza with...) all of them.

The show was actually comfortably spacious in it's layout. Will and myself took a REALLY nerdy photo (which i'm sure he'll share soon) and i got some great sketchbooks from the likes of Chris samnee, Eric Canete and Guy Davis.








































Above is a photo of myself sketching at the BOOM! booth with the lovely Jo; the boss' wife. Tried to get fresh with her but she was havin' none of it.

Below is a photo of myself and 28 Days Later writer Michael Alan Nelson. It was great to finally meet him and talk about what has happened in the book and what is coming (hope no one overheard us). We even got to work out an upcoming scene in a future issue; actually collaborating rather than me just taking a script and drawing it. Michael was such a lovely guy and it was an absolute pleasure to spend the weekend at the BOOM! booth with him.

















There was just too many happenings over the weekend for me to cover here, but safe to say i'd like to thank everyone who came to the BOOM! Studios panel and picked up a copy of 28 Days Later (I did a sketch in every copy), all the crew at BOOM! Studios for treating myself and Will so well, all the artists i met(Twartists included) who were so complimentary about my work (appreciate it so much), Mike Norton for dinner and a drive on Sunday evening and of course; the Samnees (Chris and Laura) for sharing a table with me for a spell. They soon learned to regret it.

Dec.

11 comments:

Paddy Lynch said...

Dec, no offence meant, but the best thing about this post is your Rival Schools tshirt.

Rival Schools ROCK! Didn't know you were a fan.

Seriously though, looks like you're having a blast.

Stephen Mooney said...

I'm liking the foppish hair paired with the goatee, makes you look like the forgotten musketeer, Dectanian.

Leigh G said...

AAAHHHH!!! QUIFF!!!

Glad you had a great time being all famous Quiffy McQuiffy. Well done mate.

QUIFF!!!!

Gillian Comerford said...

I like checked shirts too!!! Looks like your having a grand aul time now :)

Lee Townsend said...

Looks like you had a great time there Declan! good luck with it all.

jacintha said...

I thought I was the only wife you tried getting fresh with? le sigh...you've moved on already...

Urban Barbarian said...

Fun hanging with you and Will last night! Thanks for making the time! I see what you mean about that cover! Amazing graphic! No wonder they loved it!

Declan Shalvey said...

No offence taken Paddy, i love me some Rival Schools. Saw them play in Glagow a year or so ago and they were bloody brilliant.

Thanks for the well wishes and quiffgratulations lads.

Jackie; i am an equal opportunity wife-flirter. You got a wife, i'll flirt with her. Even did it last night. You of course, are the only one i really mean it with :)

Declan Shalvey said...

Ah thanks Dan! Really appreciate it man.

(And hello to your lovely wife by the way)

Stephen Mooney said...

You only mean it with Jac cos you love to try and take things from me.

Declan Shalvey said...

There may be some truth in that....





But mainly it's that your wife is hot.